15DC: book recommendations

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day 7: Meaning I made it through a whole week (not counting Day 1)! Go me :) Now let's hope since this is scheduled I actually remember to link up at some point...


Recommend a book--why is it important?

This was too easy for me. My senior year of high school I took a college writing course. We had to read one non-fiction book over break and I chose The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.
They say not to judge a book by its cover, but this one is adorable.
Not kidding when I say it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
An amazing father, professor and dreamer whose life was briefly put on hold because of cancer. This situation happens far too frequently in life today. However, Randy didn't let it stop him.
The man himself during his last lecture.
He wrote this book detailing how he came to the conclusion on what to talk about for his last lecture as a professor.
The book is inspiring, heart-wrenching, heart-warming, tear-jerking and about a thousand other adjectives wrapped into one.
As an avid reader I don't often find books that really make me say "Wow" when they're done. This one did.
My brother took the same college class two years after I did and had to read a non-fiction book. Now, he is not a reader at all but I suggested this to him I think he originally agreed to it because it was short. And I promise you he would say the exact same things I did about this book.
Young, old, healthy, sick, reader, not a reader, male, female, anyone can relate to this book and be moved by Randy's words.
If you pick up a book as a result of this link up, make it this one.

PS once you finish the book, watch the last lecture on YouTube. It'll make the book feel all the more real and put things in perspective that much more and don't forget your tissues.

Have an awesome Saturday!
Genna

16 comments:

  1. I'll have to add this to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be worth your while trust me!

      Delete
  2. I baaaawled watching the lecture and reading the book (and I haven't seen the lecture again since he passed, so I'm sure I'd cry even more). I love inspirational and optimistic people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I read/watched after his death so it was really strange.

      Delete
  3. i still have to read this one!

    great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.... I'm definitely adding this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed. I don't write raving reviews for every book :)

      Delete
  5. Great call! The Last Lecture is responsible for about 10% of the tears shed every year. It's so moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. Couldn't agree with you more.

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to read this book! Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read it a few years ago, so good! You're making me want to go out and find a copy for a re-read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I wrote this I,started it again! Haha

      Delete
  8. I hadn't thought of this, but it is such an amazing book! What a wonderful recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!