Back to the books, update

Monday, August 20, 2012

Three. More. Semesters.
I have to keep reminding myself of this so I don't do something drastic like fly off the deep end and burn all my school stuff in the middle of our courtyard in a maniacal, voodoo-like bonfire. Seriously.
Today was easily the worst first day of school ever. I only had one class but I am finally to the point where I am sick of tests, papers, homework, super freaking expensive books and trying in general. Unfortunately I'm almost to the transition point from student to professional and this time is critical so I am forced to make an effort.
Damn.
Anyway, my brain was mush today. I went to class, went through the motions of syllabus week and went back to my office to finish up our first issue of the campus paper. The difficult part was my brain was probably the equivalent of a bowl of mashed potatoes at that point. I was done thinking.
Needless to say it wasn't a pleasant first day. I am blaming it on the fact that I didn't have time (read: was too lazy to) go back-to-school clothes shopping. It happens.
I have four classes tomorrow, but one is at night (online, thankfully) so it doesn't count. Definitely hoping for a better day.
Oh and because all the other lifeguards already left for college and I'm the only one in town, guess who works Wednesday-Sunday for the next two weeks? This girl. Boo. The good news is traffic at the club is much slower with school starting and cooler temps. So slow in fact that I spend a lot of my time doing homework (read: on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Pinterest/Blogger/Anything but homework).

Cool Instagram of my sunglasses being bored at work, too. Proof of my doing "homework"
For those of you who have been praying for my uncle, I appreciate it. Those of you who are new around these part should refer to this post for the original story.
Anyway, things have gotten worse. He was taken to the ER tonight and then transferred to a bigger hospital because of severe hip pain. We come to find out that the cancer has spread to his hip, therefore making it harder for him to get around and much more painful. He was only given 1-3 years to begin with but the spreading is leading doctors to believe his time may be more limited than previously thought.
This is so, so hard for my family. As I said we haven't dealt with death, let alone disease, in my lifetime.  It's causing my dad a lot of heartache and it's getting more and more clear to me that I may have to imagine my wedding without my uncle. Not to mention my dad doesn't like to talk about it so when he does we know it's important, and usually bad news. It's just plain hard.
Thanks to those who have been praying and asking about him. Comfort and peace are what we need right now, and most of all a miracle.

4 comments:

  1. I will say this, and don't shoot me!, you might miss it once it's gone! :(
    I've been out of school for two years....and i miss my college like no ones business!
    I loved the atmosphere, the people, even the cramming for finals...because i was being CHALLENGED and i'm not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will miss it in the real world honestly. I do like the challenge of classes and the constant learning!

      Delete
  2. I miss college, too, but I've only been out since May... I do not miss the cramming!

    I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh cramming is a pain. And thank you, we appreciate it!

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!