A small dose of reality

Thursday, September 13, 2012

I know I've shared this before, but it's so relevant to my life I couldn't help but share it again. Also, it has nothing to do with the post that is to follow...or maybe it will. Who knows? Guess you'll have to read on to find out.
This morning after I bombed my exam our professor let us out of class early. I walked across campus and ended up being about 10 minutes early to my second class. The prof was already in the room so I walked in and said "Good morning" and proceeded to sit and get myself organized.
I looked up and the professor is staring at me with these terribly sad look in his eye. I asked if everything was alright and he said, "You know, it is now. People just don't say 'good morning' like they used to. Thank you for saying that to me today. I needed it."
I was floored. Something so simple and small that I didn't even think twice about made his day. And he's right, people don't say it as much anymore. Why? I'm not sure. To me, there is something about those pleasantries that is dear to me.
Moral of the story, say "Good morning" (or afternoon or evening depending on your time zone) to someone today. Never know when it might benefit you both.


8 comments:

  1. Aww. good story. I like when small moments turn out to be big moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great story!! We often have no idea how much the little things we do impact others. Way to be an impacter just by being you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! Obviously I had no intention of changing this guy's day, but it's nice to know what you're doing is doing some good!

      Delete
  3. Amen...the sad truth is we've lost sight of true human contact ! <3
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really have. I think the digital age has done that.

      Delete
  4. I love people that take time to notice the little things. It is truly the little things that can brighten your day. Thanks for sharing. And I agree, ice cream definitely brings happiness!

    http://sjdmiller.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! And who knows, he may have taken that small act and used it as motivation to brighten someone else's day?

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!