Frankly Friday v3: Blog things that get my goat

Friday, September 14, 2012

I don't use "get my goat" in my everyday vocabulary, so I'm not sure how it snuck into this post title.


Carrying on. This week's edition of Frankly Friday hosted by my dear blog friend, Amy. This is where I am honest real true frank with my readers about things in my life. This week: blogging.
*
There's something that's been on my mind lately: big bloggers. Think "big business" but with blogs.
We all say we start our blogs for us, but it really becomes the numbers. "I got x views this month!" "Oh yeah? We I got x new followers within the last week!"
It's a competition whether we admit it or not.
I've made a lot of great friends through blogging. I text them, tweet to them and interact with them even if it's just through comments.
Which leads me to my next point: bloggers who don't comment back. I understand if you have like, 4,000 followers (which leaves little room to be personal with your readers, in my humble opinion) and have no time to respond to the 500 comments. But one thing I told myself when I started gaining followers was that A. I would do my best to get to know each of them through their own blogs and B. I would respond to all comments left on my own.
I'm not sure why this is so important to me other than when bloggers reply back to the comments I leave for them, I feel special, remembered and important. They took time out of their day to respond to me after I took time out of mine to read their post. Does that make sense? It's like returning a favor, I guess.
Something else that I've been back and forth on is sponsors. I've sponsored a few blogs, gained a few new followers and made some new friends. Sponsoring (depending on the blog) can be great for getting involved and branching out in big old blogland. Often times you can co-host linkups (which I will actually be doing tomorrow), offer up something in a giveaway or just get a little shout out to get some more readers.
I've been a part of each of these, and I've had good and bad experiences. Mostly good. But there are some big bloggers who just blog for the benefits. We're talking bloggers that charge $50-100 for sponsorships!
People, I don't have that kind of money to spend on a spot that may or may not get me followers. And if it does get me followers, is that like paying for friends? I don't know. I have yet to decide.
Something I prefer a thousand times over: button swaps. Like a blog? Grab their button and put it on your page (I let them know before/when I do. They're usually flattered). Wanna see your button on a friend's blog? Email them. In my limited experience they're happy to oblige.
Why pay to put your button somewhere? Be real with the blogs you display on your sidebar. Show the ones you love, don't make them pay to be there.
Blogging has become a machine. It's now an industry growing at an exponential rate. The thing is, there is no governing this out of control machine not that there should be at all and things can get crazy pretty quickly. This thing we all do and love should not be big business. It should be personal.
(End rant)
Note: these are my opinions of the blogging world, which I do love dearly despite it's quirks and flaws.

10 comments:

  1. I totally agree!! I myself can (and most times do) get caught up in the # of page views i get, or # of comments, or # of followers...i think it makes us feel wanted, important, and worth something.
    I definitely think that it someone is able to make a business out of blogging...then go for it. I also understand that when someone gets 4,000+ comments on a blog...and i comment they more than likely won't respond. But when they do...OH WHEN THEY DO it is like a trumpet blaring. haha.
    . . .
    I am with you though, i get frustrated by the amount of $$ some people charge just to put your face on their page. I mean really? ...lame sauce. :)
    . . .
    <3 you and your blog...seriously. I love how you keep it real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Love you, of course, and this awesome link up!

      Delete
  2. Stopping by for frankly friday link up! I know just what you mean. Blogging went from being a quiet hobby of a few to a cool trend. Anything trendy is flashed about and usually comes with a costly "norm". Some of us are still hanging on. It's fine with me that people are making money, going to conferences, and whatever else, I just kept blogging what I intended for it to be. :) I am loving the networking aspect that came with it's trendiness though!

    Way to speak your mind and stay true to what blogging was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. And I'm glad I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  3. I totally agree. Commenting back makes it feel like you actually get to know each other a little better. It is what makes blogging more fun :)

    sjdmiller.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Couldn't agree with you more. It's the interaction that makes it enjoyable.

      Delete
  4. I truly truly just blog for myself. :) I like to talk and express my forever running mind and blogging just works for that. Oh... and it helps my family that aren't in the area stay updated on the kids and all that.

    I didn't even know that people PAID to be sponsored on someone else's blog... and I've been blogging for over seven years? I forget when I started. I just don't even pay attention to that stuff because I don't want to become "commercial". If my blog all of a sudden went big for some reason I would find a way to roll with it... but I'm like you... I like getting to know people.

    And Victoria mentioned in her comment about blog conferences and I just keep saying to people "WHAT do you actually DO at a blogging conference?!!?!" Probably learn how to grow your blog. I'll just keep being me and if that doesn't grow my blog then oh well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos to you for being able to keep it real when the blog world demands so much more nowadays. Staying true to yourself and your purpose is definitely what matters!

      Delete
  5. I feel the same way. If someone takes the time to read and respond to one of my posts, I am going to reply to them. I read blogs and comment on most of them. If I respond a bunch of times and do not get a response, I tend to not comment anymore. I just think it is a common courtesy. I understand if you have a lot of followers and cant always respond but to never respond kind of makes me feel like I am talking to myself. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think it's common courtesy as well as a polite "thank you" type gesture. And I do the same as far as quitting trying if I don't get a response. Hope you're having a lovely weekend yourself :)

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!