It's Jenna with a G

Thursday, October 4, 2012

I'm taking an online class for the second time in my college career. The first time I took an online class, already knew the professor that was teaches. This time around I do not.
And yes, I am typing this during my online class.
The trouble with an online class is that I have a hard name to pronounce. It's spelled G-e-n-n-a, and pronounced "Jenna." Most people say "Geena" and I can correct them. Some people do get it right the first time, but especially the first few weeks of classes I find myself repeating it over and over.
The thing is, I can't correct this professor because we're in a chat room. She has access to a microphone as the administrator for the class, but all the students just respond in the chat.
So basically, I have no way of correcting her when she says my name wrong.
I've always ragged on my mom for the constant struggle strangers have with my name (she chose strange spelling for 2/4 of her children). I do like my name, but I think it'd be easier if it was short for "Genevieve" or something people know how to pronounce.
I wonder how many blogs I read and see their authors' names that I pronounce wrong? At least you know mine now :)

15 comments:

  1. I would have gotten it right :) My name gets mispronounced ALL the time, so I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I'm so glad! Even emailing me or commenting on my blog some people get it wrong!

      Delete
  2. I would have gotten it wrong...womp womp.
    :)
    Thanks for correcting my brain!
    I am a literal phonics speller. I spell things as they sound & pronounce things as they are spelled :)
    ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's okay. I don't take offense to it after all these years. Glad I could be of assistance :)

      Delete
  3. I totally would have gotten it wrong. Fail.
    But my name is often pronounced like Tamera [from Tia & Tamera!]. But it's actually pronounced like Camera, just with a T. I'm always having to correct people, so I'll usually sign or tell people just to call me Tam.
    Tam-dawg if you're from the hood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tough one! I don't blame you a bit. It's tough getting people used to it, so I'm glad you feel my pain lol

      Delete
  4. Haha I've been saying it right in my head! winner! :) My last name is hard. The kind of name that when people read it, they read it as a question. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! Kudos to you. Mine gets read as a question alllll the time. That or professors just stop before it and say something along the lines of, "I'm gonna butcher this."

      Delete
  5. I always read your name as Jenna. Geena is just weird.

    My daughters name is Liza (Lie-za) and tons of people say Lee-za. Odd.

    My name is Laura pronounced Lara. Most people pronounce it Lora. Not a big deal though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone gets it! I agree, Geena is weird. I've always seen it spelled "Gina" so I'm not sure what makes people think that's how mine is pronounced! And I totally would have gotten yours wrong lol

      Delete
  6. I love the unique spelling of your name, but I can totally understand your frustration! I automatically assumed it was pronounced like "Jenna". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do like it, it's just difficult at times.

      Delete
  7. I've known you most of my life, and it never occurred to me that you even HAVE a unique spelling, haha. I have never thought anything of it and am surprised to hear people have so much trouble pronouncing it properly! My name has never been hard to say, but I almost never see it spelled right. The best ones come from people who say, "I know there was a Y in is somewhere," and spell something like: Kyayarayan. It's just Karyn. Just like Karen, but with a Y instead of the E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how people would spell it wrong! If I tell someone my name they almost always spell it wrong, and if they read it they mispronounce. Lose-lose situation, haha.

      Delete
  8. I get that a lot too. My name is Jacque, but it's pronounced "Jackie." Not many people get it right the first time.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!