The slowest, fast part of my life

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

This year has literally flown by. I can hardly believe it's mid-October already. Before we know it it'll be Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then my birthday and then Christmas! It seems like just yesterday I was getting ready to go out to a friend's house on New Year's Eve...
But even though this year and time in generally is flying by, I still feel like things are going so slowly. My classes seem longer than ever, I still yearn for Friday every week even though it seems further and further away.
I'm not sure what crazy time warp is going on that makes things feel slow even though they're fast, but I don't like it.
I want the next year and a half-ish to speed up, mainly because I want to get married and start my life with Cam. But at the same time, I want to cherish every moment of my engagement (minus the spending money on the wedding part. That I could do without) because I know this is the "easy" time. Not to mention I know my childhood is hanging by threads and that scares me.
I read this book recently called A Practical Wedding and I loved it. Anyone who is engaged or just looking to get past all the nonesense that is weddings in this day in age. Seriously, it is about 98% theatrics, 2% actual meaning. This book helped me to realize a few things:
1. I don't give a $%^! about the aisle runner
-Not the aisle runner exactly, but really...some of the little things are just details. Pick one and move on.
2. What's important is important
-That didn't make sense. At the beginning of the book, the author has you identify a few things that are really, genuinely important to you. Those things should be your focus. Let the rest fall into place and let it be done.
3. It's your day
-Well, and your fiance's. But let your styles, personalities and feelings shine
via
Really, this book was amazing. Not sure how this post turned into a book review, but it did.
I'm just hoping I can remember these things and I start my wedding dress shopping adventure this weekend (not ready this. Post to come) and make a few changes. Pray for me!

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely. SO MANY weddings now are just let's wow them with this and this and this...when it should be completely about the union of two people before God <3
    Thanks for sharing dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it! Most people focus on what they want it to look like, but I focus on what I want to feel like and mean to me!

      Delete
  2. Wedding planning can be so fun and stressful and exhausting... all at the same time. :) I planned my wedding in seven weeks. It was perfect ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seven weeks?! Wow. I guess I could probably do it if I tried reaaaal hard, but I had 2+ years when I got engaged and am seriously enjoying taking it slow.

      Delete
  3. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee wedding dress shopping! Yay!

    And I'm not in need of reading that book yet (nope, what I've said so far doesn't make sense... pretend with me that it does...) but it sounds like I'd agree with what it says. If you don't care about aisle runners or table numbers or anything else, why worry about it? And why spend money on it? It is your wedding and if you don't want it, then don't have it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited and anxious and sorta wanna throw up just thinking about it! And I totally agree with that whole paragraph, even if the first part didn't make sense (but it did to me lol)!

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!