Things about New Year's

Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's has always been my favorite holiday. When we were younger and teachers always asked our favorite holiday, I was the only one in just about every class that didn't say Christmas.
Why you ask? Have no fear, dear reader, I am about to share.
My dad grew up across the street from motel run by a big Italian family near Cedar Point. He befriended one of their nine children and they've been best friends ever since. Every year, this humongous family hosts a New Year's bash. Since the hotel closes during the winter season when Cedar Point closes, family and close family friends take over the hotel for the night. The hotel restaurant, also run by family becomes party central.
It was a night to look forward to for my whole family. You see, I was traumatized as a child and given a strict 8 p.m. bedtime even when all my friend's bedtimes were later because all my younger siblings would "get jealous" if I went to bed any later than they. Anyway, this was the one night where the bedtime rule was out the window and running around a hotel until ridiculous hours of the morning was acceptable.
To celebrate this, we each got a new pair of pajamas every year. The only pair I really remember were Mickey Mouse, of which I can find no picture or just didn't want to show you because they were hideous.
I could retell stories for pages and pages, but basically it was the most exciting night of the year for a 10-year-old with no bedtime.
We stopped going quite a few years back. My sibs and I realized that we were missing parties at home with friends. Looking back on it I wish we'd spent a few more years there, but the memories are cherished none the less.
Enjoy your last hours of this year and be safe tonight!

8 comments:

  1. That sounds like an absolute blast (taking over the hotel, not the 8pm bedtimes) ha. I was one of those children who ENJOYED going to bed early (gasp i know) but i was also up at the buttcrack of dawn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I was not and will never be a morning person!

      Delete
  2. Genna! That sounds like so much fun. My family has never been huge on New Year's (except them resolutions!). So hearing something like this is pretty cool and similar to something I'd want to incorporate into my own family. I just stalked you for a bit. And CONGRATS on the wedding in February! You're getting married 4 days after my anniversary. I'm so excited to learn more about you! Have a FABULOUS New Year's tonight! And I hope you get some cute pj's!

    amanda @ we and serendipity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I will have to stop over to your blog soon :)

      Delete
  3. NYE is my favorite holiday too. Not because of some great celebration (so jealous of the one you described), but because I just like the idea of a fresh start/clean slate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely a plus when it comes to New Year's. It's nice to turn a new leaf over with other people, too.

      Delete
  4. oh man that party sounds like such a blast! I bet you got into so many shenanigans as a child. And I had a ridiculously early bedtime growing up too, so I remember new year's eve being a fun treat for me as well.
    Also, I'm always secretly jealous when people's favorite holidays aren't Christmas because I think it's just so cool and not mainstream haha. So you get some hipster points in my book ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yesss! Love hipster points :)

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!