Destiny Rescue

Monday, January 28, 2013

"Change Destiny Thailand. Stop human trafficking."

For Christmas I got this shirt. I'm not a fashion blogger, so ignore my dirty mirror and poorly styled outfit.
Along with this shirt was a little card from a company called Sevenly. Sevenly sells products to benefit charities and every week there is a new charity. "One week, one cause" is their slogan. They've helped foster agencies adjust foster children, the homeless in the US, orphans with Downs, cancer patients and more (See all their past campaigns here).
The week my gift was purchased was a week benefiting Destiny Rescue, an organization DR is working to liberate some of the estimated 27 million sex slaves in the world today. They are currently attempting rescues in six countries.
And they do more than just rescue, they help the children after rescue because as you can imagine it is difficult dealing with life after such a traumatic time.
On the informational card that came with my shirt, there were some stats.

  • UNICEF estimates that 1.2 million new children are trafficked every tear. Only 1-2% are rescued.
If that's not terrifying, I don't know what is. It makes me scared for my future children, my nieces and nephews, the children of all my blogger friends, etc. I live 45 minutes south of the trafficking capital of the US (Toledo, Ohio) and after reading this I sat here wondering how many children drive right past my house on I-75 in the possession of some sick person.
Both DR and Sevenly are great groups with great causes. Sevenly serves a number of groups and DR is working to save children from being forced into sex slavery.
I'm a poor college student, but these are both groups that in the future I'd love to be more involved with and I'd love if some of you would join me in that involvement.

post signature

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is! All the causes Sevenly has definitely worthy ones.

      Delete
  2. You can be more involved simply by getting educated about the topic and talking about it!! I've been working on a blog series where I will share what I have been learning about sex trafficking. It's a huge problem and it's not going to go away but we can put a dent in it! We can prevent girls from running away (because many of them in the US are runaways). We all just need to start talking about it because it happens where we live... all of us.

    A good book to start with is Somebody's Daughter by Julian Sher.

    Love the shirt! I wear my "girls are not for sale" bracelet every single day. I don't care if it doesn't "go with the outfit." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I completely agree. I worked in the capital of Ohio this summer and was able to sit in on the hearing of passing the new laws in our state for trafficking (they all passed and they made the penalties MUCH higher for those caught trafficking). There are so many ways to help, people just need educated! And I've never heard of those bracelets? Does a certain organization sell them?

      Delete
    2. http://www.gems-girls.org/

      They have tshirts too. :) And you can follow them on FB!

      Delete
  3. Great cause, and definitely proud of you for educating your readers on the severity and the REALNESS of this issue. So many people want to believe that that sex-trafficing doesn't exist...or at least it doesn't exist enough to effect them; so very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It effects SO many! I only related it to myself when I realized how many girls probably travel past my house on the highway that is so close to me. It's ridiculous.

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!