Social media cleanse day 1 & 2 and random ramblings

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Well, I'm alive.
After being inspired by the lovely Katie, I decided to delete all social media from my phone. Now it may seem like I'm only going halfway, but this is huge for me. You see, I'm an addict. I thought it was just a hobby at first. But a hobby is something you do for pleasure and relaxation, not something you need. And lately, need is the word I'd use to describe my social media habit.
I have to know what's happening around me. Whether it's my Facebook timeline or my Twitter feed, I have to read everything. I start from the top and scroll down and down and down until I get to wherever it was I left off whether it was fifteen minutes or fifteen hours ago.
Pathetic.
In any case, Sunday at 11:45 I deleted Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram from my phone. I then realized I had nothing to do to put me to sleep so I had to roll over, close my eyes and do it the old fashioned way. Then, when I woke up, I had nothing to do to help wake me up in bed. Told ya I was addicted.
There have been sooooo many more pathetic occasions, but I leave my pity for myself. But I am surviving and it is getting better even if I am really bored in class.
Oh and it's almost 60 degrees in Ohio today! Big news (cough cough Tamara) and warm (?) weather makes me a happy girl. No more downed parka for this girl! It's all northface jacket for two days...until it's in the teens again by Friday. Rude, Mother Nature. Just rude.

post signature

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your cleanse. I need to slow down a bit too. It gets overwhelming to try to keep up with it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like such an obligation to me. I feel like I HAVE to do it, which I hate.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree! Sometimes I do the same and delete the social apps from my phone so I can have some true "me" time and focus on other things other than the social scene...Im addicted too :(
    Love the blog!
    xo Brittany
    breakfastatbrittanyss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Brittany! It's a challenge, but truly does give you time for other things.

      Delete
  3. It's amazing how we get addicted to all those things. I can remember a time when I didn't even have a cell phone, and then when I did it had no camera even on it! I really try to keep my time on apps to a minimum during the evenings to focus on time with Lillie, but well, you know how it is. I always manage to have it on hand. Huge kudos to you for doing this!

    I hope you're enjoying your warmer weather! Bragging about ours caused it to drop to 45 degrees here now. That's what I get! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my first phone when I turned 16 so obviously I survived without all that stuff jumbling up my phone, I just didn't know how! My phone is basically glued to my hand so I totally know what you mean. We warmed up early in the week, dropped down to the teens again and are now in the 30s, which is a victory lol

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!