True life: I'm addicted to fruit salsa (a recipe)

Monday, February 4, 2013

Senior year of high school I took an amazing class called college writing. It was a post-secondary-type thing, except it was taught by a teacher at our high school. It was a small class (only six of us) so we could have fun with it. One of our favorite things was food days. We'd bring something to share with the class and do our discussions as we ate. Which brings me to the best thing ever: fruit salsa.


Oh and did I mention it's probably the easiest recipe ever?

Here's what you'll need:
2 Granny Smith Apples
2 Cups of Strawberries
1 kiwi
Juice of an orange (freshly squeezed)
2 Tbsp. apple jelly
2 Tbsp. brown sugar or more
Tip: do the apples last so that they won't brown. As soon as they mix with the other juices you'll be good to go!
Chop all ingredients and toss together. Let it sit overnight so the flavors and juices mix.

To be honest, I really don't follow the recipe at all. I only used one apple, two kiwis, one carton of strawberries and I used four small oranges. I just toss in what looks good to me, usually! So if you like apple more, use more apple. Not a huge fan of kiwi? Use half of one. I think I also used an extra T of brown sugar cuz I used too much orange juice. Oops ;)
For real, you can't screw it up.
As for the chips, I get the Quaker apple cinnamon rice thingys (pictured above) from Walmart. But any cinnamon-type chip is fantastic with it. The first time I had it, my friend had coated wonton wrappers in cinnamon and sugar then baked them and they were delicious, but not very sturdy. 

So to all the doubters who say you can't have a delicious, healthy Super Bowl snack, shove this in their face! I am definitely a huge junk food eater, but this for sure satisfied my sugar craving in a healthy way.

post signature

10 comments:

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!