Wedding planning woes pt. 1

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Today it's time for some serious business: wedding planning. And I put part 1 in the title because I'm sure there will be more of these posts in the next year.
This picture is a year old, but embarrassingly enough it's the most recent of the two of us.
My mom is a saint. She loves me and supports me through everything. She is also helping pay for a lot of the "little things" for my wedding. My dad is doing the big stuff, but to prevent him having a heart attack when realizing how much the little stuff adds up to, she and I are doing it sort of on the DL.
For example, we downloaded the Hobby Lobby apps onto our phones which gives you 40% off and once a week we go to the good old HL and get more decoration stuff. Whether it's a bowl for a centerpiece or pens for the guestbook, that place is the best.
But I have a problem. Jules, as I call my mother Julie (she loves it cuz it makes her feel young. Mrs. makes her want to barf), wants to do so much. She wants to spoil me and my bridesmaids. She wants to pay for all of us to get our nails done the day before the wedding and pay for all of us to get our hair and makeup done the day of. Uh, hello?! I have six bridesmaids! No chance.
She wants our day to be perfect. Granted we're doing a lot of DIY, but it's still so costly.
Weddings are expensive and since I am basically unemployed, it's really hard for me to let her do so much.
post signature

11 comments:

  1. Weddings ARE expensive! One of my best girlfriends is getting married next year and hearing all of the $$$ it is costing her is making my head spin.
    I'm vowing to make my wedding CHEAP ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely ridiculous. A long engagement is definitely best for trying to pay for things.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet mom! Also, you both look GORGEOUS in the picture! I have no advice. Just good thoughts coming your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Aw you're so sweet. I definitely appreciate the kind thoughts!

      Delete
  3. She is a gift from God that is for sure! You have an amazing mom and you are blessed to have her beside you the whole way! (: Your wedding is going to be gorgeous sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She wants to do that for you, I say let her! I understand that you don't want to put her out [I was in a very similar situation when I got married!] but I promise you, she wouldn't offer if she didn't want too. And I know my daughter is only two, but I'm excited for the day she gets to marry her sweetheart and I get to help make it possible.
    I say to ease her mind about doing that, have you & your bridesmaids do something special for her, like a gift card to a spa or buying something she really loves and presneting it to her as a thank you? That way she can help you like she wants and you don't have to feel so guilty about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so torn. You're probably right, she just wants to make it the best it can be for me. And getting her something in return is SUCH a fantastic idea. You are a genius, girl.

      Delete
  5. If she wants to pay and spend all that money let her! It is her way of giving you that gift and showing how excited she is for you. You will be surprised with how gracious people can be and how much they want to shower you with love and will use their savings to make you feel special. you need to be able to accept that gift. they really just want to love on you.

    if she wanted you to do lots of expensive and traditional things but wasn't willing to pay for that it would be a totally different story but she WANTS to pay.

    think of when you really wanted to buy something for someone and you spent a lot of money on it because you knew it was just right. you would want them to take it not say "i can't take that it is too much money" that would hurt your feelings.

    you can also give her a fun thank you gift to show her how much you love and appreciate her as well - like a photo book from the engagement pictures and one from the wedding or something fun like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have most certainly been surprised thus far. People are so willing it's amazing! I think a gift is a great idea. Our photographer gives us two coffee table books with wedding pictures post-wedding so that would probably be perfect.

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!