Painting the sky

Wednesday, July 24, 2013


A few weeks ago my brother, his girlfriend, my mom, Trigger and I all went up to the lake to spend a day at my grandparents' house. Little did we know the weather wasn't planning on cooperating.
When we got there it was nice enough, but there was no breeze and it was hot, meaning the stupid flies were biting.
We headed inside and had lunch and then my mom and brother and his girlfriend went with my grandpa to check out the plane he and a few friends had been building. No sooner had they left than the storm kicked up. The sky darkened quickly and the wind howled. My dad and sister who were at work in our home town started calling telling us that bad weather had just passed them and was headed straight for us. The tornado sirens wailed and I started panicking a bit because I couldn't get ahold of my mom or brother.
They made it back just as the worst of it hit. We were all okay and there was little damage in the immediate area; other places weren't so lucky.
There's something intimate as you watch water spouts (tornadoes over the water) spin across the lake from your grandparents' windows. It connects you to nature and shows you how vulnerable you really are. As the clouds spun right above the house I prayed. I don't remember what I said or if I said anything, but I prayed and God knew what was on my heart.
After the storms, I walked onto the sidewalk along the sea wall and snapped a few pictures. This was the last shot and it looks like God took his finger and swirled the clouds around as an artist does with his brush and paint. To the North the sky was clearing, but to the West the storm was gaining strength. Amazing.
post signature

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad y'all were all ok. I've only been around a tornado siren once...and it terrified me.
    That really is a beautiful picture - i love your description of it to, as a painter....so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so scary! We usually get a storm bad enough to trigger the sirens once a year, but that doesn't make them any less terrifying.

      Delete
  2. Wait, so THAT'S when/ why flies bite?! When it's hot out? I had no clue. Anyway, I'm glad you're okay! That's scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not entirely sure if that's WHY they bite, but I know that's when! The wind helps drive them away for sure. Just my totally uneducated guess LOL

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous picture! I love watching storms over water :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really the best way to watch them, in my opinion!

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!