30 Things in 30 Weeks: Are You Yourself?

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Lehmann Laughter

This week's prompt: Do you embrace the person you are now, flaws and all? Do you find it hard with the constant imagery and importance the media places on what your standard should be?

Living in today's society is so hard. Everywhere you look there are advertisements of beautiful people telling you what you need, whether a service or a product. Radio, newspaper, magazine or television, it's everywhere.
And it's really hard to deal with. The pressure is enormous!
The standard is perfection, and no one is ever going to reach it no matter how hard they try. But that's the image that surrounds us so whether we know it or not, subconsciously that's what we're aiming for.
I think it's important to comprehend that only our God is perfect. 2 Corinthians 13:9 says, "For we are glad, when we are weak, and ye are strong: and this also we wish, ever your perfection."
We should be joyous that we are not perfect, because our God is! And we know He is and we are glad, because if it were up to us, we'd probably screw everything up. On the other hand, He has a plan and knows what He's doing.
Unfortunately, like many things God commands/asks of us, it is a little hard to understand or just agree to. God is a still, small voice in our hearts we choose to ignore/don't hear most of the time. For example, I have a bad habit about standing in front of the mirror while my shower is warming up and nitpicking. When did that zit get there? Maybe I need a boob lift? Why does this ear look so uneven?
But then, BAM! Conviction time:

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."

Wow! Psalm 139:14 dropping some serious knowledge on me there. God made me perfectly. All these "flaws" I have, physical or otherwise, are nonexistent. The media and all the ads and whatnot don't know my heart, they don't know me and they certainly don't know the plans my God has for me. It's really, really hard to get that to sink in, but it's true!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!