30 Things in 30 Weeks: Happiness

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Lehmann Laughter

Linking up with one of my favorite bloggers Tam to talk about 30 things.
This week's topic is happiness. Is personal happiness a priority or selfish? The prompt reads, "Do you make time for yourself - is it at the expense of others' happiness? If so, how does that affect you?"

So all of you who are probably reading this know I've been struggling with depression lately, obviously the polar opposite of happiness. To combat this, I've really been focusing on myself and making me the priority. I think there is a time in everyone's life where they have to make themselves a priority and just focus on you. This happens to be that point in my life.
Usually it does affect others. For example, I often feel like my focusing on me negatively affects Cameron or takes my attention/affection away from him. Maybe it does or maybe it doesn't. The point is, if someone truly loves you, they will understand the need for you to work on you.
Thankfully, I've been really blessed to have people in my life that understand. They aren't made that I need me time, they just get it. Including my incredible husband.

This guy's love and support plays so much into my happiness it's crazy. I'm a little more selfish, just comparing our two personalities. I'd like to say I'd do the same for him in regards to how giving his is in his time and energy, but I doubt it. Thank goodness we balance each other out so well.
Happiness is so important. If you're not happy, the people around you aren't going to be either. And if the people around you are upset that you're trying to focus on/better yourself, they're probably not that great of friends at all.
post signature

6 comments:

  1. Love this. Being happy is pretty dang important. I'm glad that Cameron is there for you and can make you feel happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've always underestimated the importance until now. It is essential!

      Delete
  2. Hi Genna, I found you through the 30 Topics; 30 weeks link up.

    I gotta say, I completely agree that "if you're not happy, the people around you aren't going to be either". I know that when I am happy, I am much more pleasant to be around. :)

    Also, when my family/friends are happy I WANT to be around them! When they are grouchy and short-tempered, sometimes giving them a little space gives them the chance to focus on themselves, and they cheer up!

    I think taking time for self-happiness should be a priority because the happier we are the more happiness we have to share! :)

    Thanks for sharing, reading your post made me happier! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yay I'm so glad you found me! I'll definitely hop over and check your post out too. And I agree. If other people aren't happy I typically would rather not be around them and it's important for me (but not always easy) to turn it around and ask myself if I'm someone I'd want to spend time with! I am SO glad my post made you happy :)

      Delete
  3. You are totally right that if you're not happy, that's certainly going to transition to those around you. Sometimes it seems like those closest to us (husbands for example!) often know before we do when we need something. There have been so many times that Alfred has accurately called me out on being unhappy because I'm spreading myself too thin and I didn't even really realize it since I was just on go mode.

    And yes, there are times in our life when we need to make ourself the priority and I'm glad you recognize and are working on that! I've been thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cam calls me out for that kinda thing too and I'm so grateful for it. Sometimes I don't even know I'm doing it or what's making me unhappy.

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!