The first two weeks/what it's like to work in radio

Saturday, June 28, 2014

I survived my first two weeks of work at a real, full-time, big-girl status job. If I had to sum it up in a few words it'd be: challenging, exhilarating, terrifying and fulfilling. 
I am very grateful last week was a short work week next week because I'll be honest, I was a a little burnt out after my first 40-hour week (and I had to finish up my part-time job at the newspaper last Saturday as well, loooong week). A restful three-day weekend is exactly what the doctor ordered and you bet I took  advantage of it!
The job itself consists of reporting, writing and recording. I don't have my own "show" on-air, per say. Basically I have short 1-2 minute newscasts that air between things on a few different local stations. 
I go in at 10 a.m. to talk with my boss about what's happened so far that day (he works 4 a.m. to noon-yikes!). Then I start reporting what needs reported or more info and start writing my scripts. The main station I work on is an a.m. news/talk/sports station. On that station there is a 1-2 minute newscast every half an hour. For this reason, I write one script for the top of the hour and one for the bottom so people aren't hearing the same news all day. Sometimes the scripts have a few of the same stories, sometimes they're entirely different. If there's big news I'll probably have it in every script because it's important. Otherwise I'll rotate through my b-list of still-important-but-not-immediate stories. Every two hours, I rewrite them entirely. 
"But what happens if there's breaking news?" you ask. Well, then my job gets fun and challenging and kind of becomes a pain in the ass. There is an extremely delicate balance between wanting to get the info on-air ASAP for the next newscast and being sure my info is solid. It's a challenge for sure. 
Between newscasts I scan social media, set up interviews and report. It's a full 8-hour day of pure, journalistic bliss. 
Compared to the super serious, not very much fun newspaper, I'm in heaven. I'm enjoying what I'm doing and the people I work with. You can ask me again in a few weeks/months, but right now I'm loving it. 

4 comments:

  1. sounds like a whole new world girl! :)
    so exciting for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really is but it's a pretty awesome one.

      Delete
  2. So glad that you're enjoying it! It sounds exciting and wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is awesome! A huge challenge, but an awesome one.

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!