Wedding: Not To Do's

Thursday, August 7, 2014

As with all things, there are always things that go wrong with wedding planning. Also, I felt it was only appropriate to include outtakes/blooper pictures in the "not to do" post. Please enjoy/laugh at my lack of photogenic-ness.


Do Not:
1. Leave for Your Honeymoon Six Hours After the Reception
-I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that my biggest regret was leaving for our honeymoon immediately after the wedding reception. Instead of having fun and enjoying himself, Cameron spent the entire time watching the clock to make sure we were out of there by 11:30 PM.
Instead of spending time with our family (a lot of whom came from out of town) the next day we were already on our way to Miami to leave for our cruise.
Specifically we left the reception at 11:30, got back to our apartment and changed and were on the road to Columbus to get to the airport by 12:30 and were on an airplane at 6 a.m. We regretted it pretty much immediately because we were exhausted and we didn't get to see or spend time with much of the family that had come from so far away to be with us on our wedding day.


2. Forget to Plan for Cleanup
-I felt so bad when my mom asked me what the plans were for cleanup the next day. I realize that I hadn't asked the venue or any of the vendors when stuff would be cleaned up and what the families' responsibilities would be. Therefore I jetted off on the honeymoon and left my family with the burden of cleanup. They said it went well but I still felt guilty.

Ew boobs.
3. Just Try on a Dress
-I addressed, this in my last post, but I really ended up hitting my dress by the end of the night. It looks so great and so perfect in the majority of our before ceremony pictures, but by the end of the night I had the big boob fold that I dread so much. Future brides be warned: try sitting, standing, moving around, running, jumping, posing, dancing, etc. in your dress before you pick it!

We did a dollar dash instead of a dollar dance and I ran out of room in my hands for my dollars so I had to use my dress. Classy, I know.
4. Choose Any Old Vendor
-Talk about stressful. There are a whopping four florists in my entire hometown. Therefore we went with the nicest and highest priced ones, but I didn't trust my florist. She was so forgetful and didn't even remember meeting me at our second meeting and I had to relay the information that I had already given her. And what I ended up with was flowers that I didn't even like. Sure they were pretty but they weren't what I asked for.
The photographer was another battle. If you've been following along you'll know that before my wedding, she and her husband split and they owned the photography business together. A month before the wedding I couldn't even get a hold of her. And as it turns out she had moved three hours away and didn't let me know. She still came back for the wedding but was terrible to communicate with. And of course as you know, it took five months to get my wedding pictures back. She didn't respond to my texts, phone calls, or emails. No bueno.
Our venue required us to us their food/drinks and every bride's worst nightmare came true: they ran out of food. Even though 50 fewer people than RSVPd actually showed up, they still ran out.

I get a little invested when Ice Ice Baby comes on...
5.  Freak About RSVPs 
-If you've been married, or even ever been to a wedding, you know that RSVPing is incredibly important. We had less than a third of our gas, 100 of the 300, RSVP by the RSVP date. It felt like a burden (and I felt like I was burdening our guests) when I had to start calling guess to see if they were coming or not. And as it turned out a lot of those people that I called who said they would be there weren't. Including some family members.
I learned the hard way that you can't be mad about this, can't stress about it, or be upset. It's going to happen no matter what. I was terribly offended by this, but apparently RSVPing is a lost art in our culture today. 


6. Be Bothered by Etiquette (or lack thereof)
-this goes hand-in-hand with the law start of RSVPing. People showed up to our almost a black-tie wedding in jeans. I wasn't necessarily offended, but I thought it was pretty common knowledge that you don't wear jeans to two events: weddings and funerals. Just little things like this and RSVPing our little examples of things that used to be important but aren't anymore.

One of my guy friends was dancing on me, dropped it low and brought it back up and brought the majority of my dress with him, hence the look on my face.
7. Be Your Mother's Hostess
-my mom is a certified "hostess with the mostest." She strived to me before the wedding how important it was that I talked to everyone and was a good hostess. We made a point of dismissing all the  pews at church so we could see each and everyone of those people. At the reception I wanted to make it around to all the tables, but our schedule got thrown off by quite a bit because of an unknown speech and I wasn't able to. My mother was appalled but I was glad because I had at least talked to all these people at the church. 
Lesson being: don't feel like you have to be a hostess the whole night. It's your night.


2 comments:

  1. The pictures - priceless! I'm so glad you shared the 'not so great' ones - they're always my favorite :)

    Wedding culture must be a little different in Texas because jeans are pretty common here - although, they're always starched, with shined boots, and a button down shirt. Our wedding was really not that formal but I did have a couple people show up in shorts and I remember thinking, uhhhh what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been involved in so many weddings where the Bride and Groom haven't thought about the pack up...which has meant hours of work because nobody else thinks to offer to help. *sigh* I hate to think of all the ways I annoyed people when I got married however, so I suppose this is just me paying my penance, right? :P

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!