Eight Things in Eight Months

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Eight months ago today, after 776 days of engagement and almost five years of dating, Cameron and I said "I do." It was the best day and there's really no other way to word it.
So eight months later, what have I/we learned? I thought it'd be fun to get Cam involved since he's never been part of a blog post directly before, so here's four from me and four from him.


Genna's four:
1. Compromise is an understatement. Whether it's what to have to dinner, what movie to rent or a big financial decision, it's all about compromise. It's really hard adjusting to thinking of someone other than yourself and I'm not sure if I'll ever be that good at it.
2. Money complicates everything. If there was one thing we've argued about in our short marriage, it's been money. It's indirectly tied to everything we have and do, so it's bound to cause some concern. During our pre-marital counseling we talked about this and thankfully we've gotten a little better about budgeting and planning.
3. Old habits die hard. Cameron is really bad at putting clothes in the laundry basket. I mean, really bad. This is sort of not a complaint, just an observation. His clothes are everywhere. The bathroom, the hallway, the living room, even on the floor right next to the laundry basket. It's infuriating to me, but I know it's not the end of the world.
4. Love is still number 1. I hope I get to say this 80 years from now. Despite the hard times, the love still outweighs everything else. I come home to my husband every night, I fall asleep with him every night, and I still love the heck out of him. And I will never get sick of being loved right back.


Cameron's four:
1. Women speak a totally different language. They interpret words completely differently than men. Men think "the" women think "thee." It just makes everything harder, and the only way to overcome it is to learn your partner.
2. Don't marry a person that's like you. Marry a person that's your opposite to have good balance in your relationship. One person thinks black, the other person thinks white. Wants, needs, anything. The other person can always see past it to the end result, which is very helpful
3. Ask your partner, "is the money worth it?" Household items, wants, needs, etc. No matter what it is, is it worth it? Do you want it or do you need it? Again the other person can always see the result.
4. It's always better to talk than let things stay bottled up. If you don't, things will eventually get to their boiling point. A lot of fights can be deterred if you talk about things as you go.

*Bonus advice from both of us: marry someone you can stand to live and put up with on a daily basis :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts on my posts. Let me know here!